2.13.2018

Review: You by Caroline Kepnes

You by Caroline Kepnes
Published: June 16, 2015
Publisher: Atria Books
Format: audiobook via Overdrive
Rating: 5/5

Synopsis
When a beautiful, aspiring writer strides into the East Village bookstore where Joe Goldberg works, he does what anyone would do: he Googles the name on her credit card.

There is only one Guinevere Beck in New York City. She has a public Facebook account and Tweets incessantly, telling Joe everything he needs to know: she is simply Beck to her friends, she went to Brown University, she lives on Bank Street, and she’ll be at a bar in Brooklyn tonight—the perfect place for a “chance” meeting.

As Joe invisibly and obsessively takes control of Beck’s life, he orchestrates a series of events to ensure Beck finds herself in his waiting arms. Moving from stalker to boyfriend, Joe transforms himself into Beck’s perfect man, all while quietly removing the obstacles that stand in their way—even if it means murder.

My Thoughts
I had heard so much about this read that I was scared to see if the hype was real. Well to me it was real and I loved it! I had bought a physical copy but I’ve been in an audiobook kind of mood so I listened to it that way and boy am I glad I did!

You is the story of Joe who works in a bookstore and becomes obsessed, to say the least with Beck who comes into the store one day. He soon gets her info and starts to stalk her as a way to get into her life. Joe is one the best characters I’ve encountered in recent years. He is creepy and listening to this via audio just made it for me. The narrator Santino Fontana IS Joe, he gives that creepiness that it scary but also gripping at the same time. The things that we find out that Joe does is so disturbing that I felt like I needed a shower to wipe off the griminess. This book was everything I wanted it to be and way more than I thought I could have imagined.

If you want a thriller that will take you for the wildest ride of your life look no further than You. This isn’t for the faint at heart so if you don’t like creepy reads or you get easily offended then this isn't the one for you but if you aren’t then I highly recommend this awesomely unforgettable read.

No comments:

Post a Comment