6.13.2016

Mini Review: The Weekenders by Mary Kay Andrews

The Weekenders by Mary Kay Andrews
Published: May 17, 2016
Publisher: St. Martin’s Press
Rating: 4/5

Synopsis
Some people stay all summer long on the idyllic island of Belle Isle, North Carolina. Others come only for the weekends-and the mix between the regulars and “the weekenders” can sometimes make the sparks fly. Riley Griggs has a season of good times with friends and family ahead of her on Belle Isle when things take an unexpected turn. While waiting for her husband to arrive on the ferry one Friday afternoon, Riley is confronted by a process server who thrusts papers into her hand. And her husband is nowhere to be found.

So she turns to her island friends for help and support, but it turns out that each of them has their own secrets, and the clock is ticking as the mystery deepens...in a murderous way. Cocktail parties aside, Riley must find a way to investigate the secrets of Belle Island, the husband she might not really know, and the summer that could change everything.

Told with Mary Kay Andrews’ trademark blend of humor and warmth, and with characters and a setting that you can’t help but fall for, The Weekenders is the perfect summer escape.

My Thoughts
As a regular reader of Mary Kay Andrews, I was so pleased with her latest novel The Weekenders. I must admit I loved this novel more than some of her recent ones because I felt this one was more like some of her past reads which I really enjoyed. I loved the whole feel of a fun beach read with the dash of mystery that plays out through the whole book.

We meet Riley who spends her summer in North Carolina with family and friends but from the start, this summer feels different she has been trying to reach her husband but can never find him and that sets off a chain of events that will change her life forever. What I really enjoyed was the whole interaction between all the summer friends. I found this read funny but I also liked that Mary Kay Andrews gave us this other storyline that evolves a bit of a mystery. It gave this beach read a little something extra to bite into and I loved it!

This is by far one of my favorite reads by Mary Kay Andrews in recent years. Though it was a bit on the long side for me it went by pretty fast. If you like your beach reads light and fun but if you also love a bit of a mystery this is the perfect read for you! So grab your sunscreen and a cool glass of iced tea and sit back and enjoy The Weekenders this is one read that demands to be on top of every summer list!

2 comments:

  1. Great review! I really liked this one, too -- I completely agree with you re: this being a better MKA than some of her recent reads! It does feel like her older ones and I loved the setting!!

    my review

    ReplyDelete
  2. On my wishlist. Glad to see it's like some of her other books. I loved Save The Date and hope to pick The Weekenders up from the library soon. :)

    ReplyDelete