5.26.2016

Mini Review: Frannie and Tru by Karen Hattrup

Frannie and Tru by Karen Hattrup
Expected Publication: May 31, 2016
Publisher: HarperTeen
Format: via Edelweiss
Rating: 3/5

Synopsis
When Frannie Little eavesdrops on her parents fighting she discovers that her cousin Truman is gay, and his parents are so upset they are sending him to live with her family for the summer. At least, that’s what she thinks the story is. . . When he arrives, shy Frannie befriends this older boy, who is everything that she’s not–rich, confident, cynical, sophisticated. Together, they embark on a magical summer marked by slowly unraveling secrets.

My Thoughts
Where do I start with this one? At first, I thought this book was going to be about Frannie but Tru stole the spotlight. Tru comes into town after his parents send him away for the summer and when he does he helps Frannie come out of her shell. Frannie is determined for this summer to be different than any other, she wants to do things differently and she thinks her cousin is the right person to help her. There are times when I personally didn’t like Tru I just felt like all he thought about was himself. Frannie desperately wanted her cousin's approval and at times, I felt like he used her friendship when he had nothing else to do. I didn’t dislike this book but I wouldn't rave about it either. I gave it three stars because I’m literally split down the middle on this one.

2 comments:

  1. Aw, I'm sorry you didn't enjoy this more. I have seen a lot of good reviews, but recently I've been seeing a lot of bad ones as well.

    Kim @ Divergent Gryffindor: BLOG || VLOG

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just recently found out about this title and have been cautiously optimisitc about this... thanks for the honest review!

    ReplyDelete