7.31.2015

Review: The Ones We Trust by Kimberly Belle

The Ones We Trust by Kimberly Belle
Published: July 28, 2015
Publisher: MIRA
Format: via publisher
Rating: 4/5

Synopsis
When former DC journalist Abigail Wolff attempts to rehabilitate her career, she finds herself at the heart of a US army cover-up involving the death of a soldier in Afghanistan -- with unspeakable emotional consequences for one family. As the story of what happened comes to light, Abigail will do anything to write it.

The more evidence she stumbles upon in the case, the fewer people it seems she can trust, including her own father, a retired army general. And she certainly never expected to fall in love with the slain soldier's brother, Gabe, a bitter man struggling to hold his family together. The investigation eventually leads her to an impossible choice, one of unrelenting sacrifice to protect those she loves. Beyond the buried truths and betrayals, questions of family loyalty and redemption, Abigail's search is, most of all, a desperate grasp at carrying on and coping -- and seeking hope in the impossible.

My Thoughts
The Ones We Trust is a book I really enjoyed. I loved how it was suspenseful and full of mystery but then it was also touching. Abigail was just trying to find herself and get her career on track when she finds herself wrapped up in something she never that possible. I loved how it has the whole military/government aspect of it which gives it a whole bunch of twist and turns which leads to a strong storyline that I thought was fabulous. There is some romance which I think balances out the story and where we see a softer and variable side which I like to see as much as the strong side of Abigail.

This is one read that has everything in it but never seems too overwhelming or overdone. I love how Kimberly Belle balances out everything perfectly and she gives us characters that are flawed but in the most perfect way that you can’t help but root for them. This is one read I will tell everyone about.

1 comment:

  1. This sounds GREAT, Monica! It reminds me of a book I read last year, The Missing Place, about a woman whose son is working out of state and then disappears and no one knows what has happened to him. Anyway, I'm glad you enjoyed this one; I'll have to add this to my list.

    ReplyDelete