4.13.2015

Review: Where They Found Her by Kimberly McCrieght

Where They Found Her by Kimberly McCreight
Published: April 14, 2015
Format: via NetGalley
Challenges: 2015 NG/EW
Publisher: Harper
Rating: 5/5

Synopsis
At the end of a long winter, in bucolic Ridgedale, New Jersey, the body of an infant is discovered in the woods near the town’s prestigious university campus. No one knows who the baby is, or how her body ended up out there. But there is no shortage of opinions.

When freelance journalist, and recent Ridgedale transplant, Molly Anderson is unexpectedly called upon to cover the story for the Ridegdale Reader, it’s a risk, given the severe depression that followed the loss of her own baby. But the bigger threat comes when Molly unearths some of Ridgedale’s darkest secrets, including a string of unreported sexual assaults that goes back twenty years.

Meanwhile, Sandy, a high school dropout, searches for her volatile and now missing mother, and PTA president Barbara struggles to help her young son, who’s suddenly having disturbing outbursts.

Told from the perspectives of Molly, Barbara, and Sandy, Kimberly McCreight’s taut and profoundly moving novel unwinds the tangled truth about the baby’s death revealing that these three women have far more in common than they realized. And that their lives are more intertwined with what happened to the baby than they ever could have imagined.

My Thoughts
I love a good thriller and this one doesn’t disappoint. This is the story of Molly who is still dealing with the death of her stillborn child when she is called to checkout a story of a murder person by the local paper she is working for. Then the news comes that it isn’t an adult but a child which just makes her head spin. However she is determined to do her job and not let this become personal…easier said than done. Through the story we are introduced to an array of local girls all of whom could be mother of the dead infant.

The way Kimberly McCreight weaves through the story lines is utterly amazing. She gives us suspect after suspect all who could be the killer. I also love how we get the story of Molly and how she and her family dealt with her own loss. However what I love most is how everyone is a suspect and how the author keeps some of the most powerful details under wraps until the very end. I love when I can read a book and NOT figure it out. Nowadays some reads are so easy to figure out that it kind of ruins the joy of it all.

Because of that this is why Kimberly McCreight has become one of my favorite new authors. I fell in love with her writing since her first book Reconstructing Amelia and this new one doesn’t disappoint either. So do yourself and favor and if you haven’t had the pleasure of reading her novels what are you waiting for? She is one author who will instantly become a favorite I guarantee it!

3 comments:

  1. I really liked this one too...and I had so many wrong guesses, which is a must for me to like a thriller! I'll be posting a spoiler discussion on Weds.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So if Sarah is publishing a spoiler discussion, I guess I need to get this one read soon. I enjoyed Reconstructing Amelia last summer. This one sounds like a winner too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Please join in on Sarah's spoiler post, I did today. I loved this book too, and it's so nice to read a book where you can't figure out the ending!

    ReplyDelete