10.03.2014

Short Story Review: The Broken String by Diane Chamberlain

The Broken String by Diane Chamberlain
Published: August 26, 2014
Publisher: St. Martin’s Press
Format: via NetGalley
Rating: ⅘

Synopsis
In celebration of the forthcoming novel The Silent Sister, Diane Chamberlain introduces Riley MacPherson in the e-short story The Broken String. As seventeen-year-old Riley MacPherson rushes to the side of her brother who has been gravely injured in Iraq, she recalls their growing up years when he was her protector and best friend. Why did that relationship fall apart? She longs for a second chance to connect with her brother, not realizing that family secrets may prevent them from ever having that closeness again.

My Thoughts
This is a great introduction to the characters of Diane Chamberlain’s new novel The Silent Sister. I love how we get a sneak peak of the characters however nothing of the plot is revealed. I will say that The Silent Sister is one of best books I’ve read so far this year! I will post my review on Monday.

In this short we meet Riley and get the backstory of her and her family especially her brother. We don’t get so much of her sister which I think is good, that’s best saved for the full-fledged book. This is definitely a short at only 41 pages but I think it gives you a good starting point and sets you up perfectly for the novel.

2 comments:

  1. This looks very interesting, Monica; thank you for sharing and I will definitely check back to read your review of The Silent Sister. Hope you have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just read it ... it sets up and explains the tensions in "The Silent Sister".

    http://www.teenaintoronto.com/2015/01/book-broken-string-2014-diane.html

    ReplyDelete