10.07.2014

Review: The Good Sister by Jamie Kain

The Good Sister by Jamie Kain
Published: October 7, 2014
Publisher: St. Martin’s Griffin
Format: via NetGalley
Challenges: 2014 NetGalley/Edelweiss
Rating: 5/5

Synopsis
The Kinsey sisters live in an unconventional world. Their parents are former flower-children who still don’t believe in rules. Their small, Northern California town is filled with free spirits and damaged souls seeking refuge from the real world. Without the anchor of authority, the three girls are adrift and have only each other to rely on.

Rachel is wild.  Asha is lost.  Sarah, the good sister, is the glue that holds them together.  But the forces of a mysterious fate have taken Sarah’s life in a sudden and puzzling accident, sending her already fractured family into a tailspin of grief and confusion. Asha has questions. Rachel has secrets. And Sarah, waking up in the afterlife, must piece together how she got there.

Jamie Kain brings us The Good Sister, a stunning debut young adult novel about love in all its joyful, painful, exhilarating manifestations, and about the ties that bind us together, in life and beyond.

My Thoughts
I will admit the cover is what pulled me in. It looks so sweet, kind and the true definition of sisterly love. Boy oh boy this is one of those times when the book cover doesn’t match the read but in such a good way.

The Good Sister is told through the various sister voices and we get to see each side of their stories and how they really feel and interact towards each other. Growing up they rely on each other since both parents we so carefree in a hippie kind of way. We learn early on that Sarah the good sister dies of an “accident” but is it really? Through the other sisters we learn of the relationships between them and realize that maybe Sarah wasn’t so good after all. However we also learn of some things that happen between her and one of her sisters. I don’t want to spoil it but as they say for every good there is some evil, and man is it EVIL!

As I was reading I was like I can’t believe this! How can someone be so mean and revengeful??!! I love when I’m surprised by something I never saw coming. While I wonder how some people can be this way it makes me question if it has to do with their upbringing. They never had any structure in their lives. Their mom once divorced leaves them barely teens to live by themselves while she moves on with her boyfriend. No wonder these girls are so twisted in a way. How can you know right from wrong when there was no one there to teach you?

Overall this is one twisted tale that is so good. There is nothing that I didn’t like. I went into this thinking it one thing but came out finding something totally different and I was so amazed by that. So do yourself a favor and get this read it is one that you soon won’t forget.

1 comment: