10.17.2014

Review: The Best of Me by Nicholas Sparks

The Best of Me by Nicholas Sparks
Published: October 11, 2011
Publisher: Grand Central Publishing
Format: Kindle purchase
Rating: 3.5/5

Synopsis
THE BEST OF ME is the heart-rending story of two small-town former high school sweethearts from opposite sides of the tracks. Now middle-aged, they've taken wildly divergent paths, but neither has lived the life they imagined . . . and neither can forget the passionate first love that forever altered their world. When they are both called back to their hometown for the funeral of the mentor who once gave them shelter, they will be forced to confront the choices each has made, and ask whether love can truly rewrite the past.

My Thoughts
Oh how I wanted to truly love this book. As a huge Nicholas Sparks fan it had everything I wanted and needed in a classic book by him. It had two characters who weren’t supposed to be together but you know were meant to be, there was that something that kept them apart and lastly there was the undeniable love that couldn’t keep them apart no matter what. So what was the problem you ask? Well I think there was just too much doing on. There was the flash backs to when they were young, which I had no problem with. However there was this storyline of Dawson’s family that honest I could’ve done without. Yes it did play a role in the end but I just didn’t feel like it did much in the overall aspect of things.

Overall I did enjoy the story; I love the way Nicholas Sparks gives us characters to root for. However of all his characters I just didn’t fall in love with these two, I didn’t feel that connection like I have in the past. I will admit the ending did get me and that was classic Sparks to me. While I wasn’t head over heels with this one I do want to see the movie which comes out today. I want to see how the book and movie differ and how the characters work with each other. Plus I just adore James Marsden I think he is so underrated as an actor not to mention he isn’t hard on the eyes. Haha! This is once instance where the movie trailer really made me want to see the movie and not so much just because I read the book.

No comments:

Post a Comment